As 2018 comes to an end we want to recap some highlights of the year like we did last year. We find reflection so grounding and it really helps us grab a hold of reality so that we can make attainable goals for the year ahead! So here we go!
Britta | Highs of 2018…
- In March we adopted our second dog, Terry, and it was the best decision we made all year. He’s the most patient little brother to Luna and such a little weirdo. He fits in perfectly with our fam!
- One of our best friends Jenny married her soulmate James this summer and I was elated to stand by her side on her big day. It was the perfect day for the perfect couple!
- Speaking of weddings, another one of our best friends Addy got married in New Jersey! Her wedding was just as gorgeous as she, and we adore her family which made it all the more special. She’s actually expecting which is another high in my book!
- We finally planned a vacation, specifically to Nashville. These days we tend to travel home to Wisconsin or somewhere for a wedding, which means there’s not a lot of time for an actual vacation. You can read all about our trip to Nashville here! We also made a fun vlog.
- On a professional note, my job shifted a lot this year. Through the ups and downs, I feel like I’ve learned so much about adapting and the changes have only made my team stronger.
- My boyfriend, Tommy, turned 30th this year on November 30th so we celebrated with a weekend getaway to Palm Springs. It was truly the ideal vacation: Great friends, great food, and a relaxing environment.
- Speaking of Tommy, another high for me was to watch him evolve as a basketball coach. He coaches a HS basketball team in South Los Angeles. He donates so much of his time without complaining and cares immensely about the kids. His only goal is to teach them the skills they need to succeed. He’s an amazing coach and it just makes me love him even more.
- Although this may seem like a small feat, I was so happy to go lighter with my hair this year. I was in a hair rut and I feel like a change in appearance often sparks a change in our attitudes (for the better).
- As you may know, we’re in the thick of starting our own luxury candle business, Dyad. We spent the whole year testing fragrances, designing the vessel + packaging, and it’s truly been the most rewarding experience of my life. I’ve never felt more fulfilled by something and I’m so grateful to be able to do it with my other half.
Carli | Highs of 2018…
- Oh gosh, 2018 will always be the year of weddings! I went to five this year and they were all incredible. Watching your loved ones married their other half is truly something special and I thoroughly enjoyed every single wedding even if they involved a lot of travel. The best was Jenny and James’ because I was in it and felt so honored to be by her side on her big day!
- Our best friend Alyssa, she came for a quick visit (visiting from Indiana) way at the beginning of the year and of course, we had the best time eating, drinking, showing her LA. It was wonderful and I wish she lived closer!
- Completing our little fam with little Terry was definitely a high this year! We adopted Terry back in March but it feels like he’s been with us forever. It took him some time to come around but now he’s attached to all of us like a magnet and loves his big sister, Luna. I love him so much.
- I, like Britta, went through a lot of changes this year professionally. I’ve been at the same job now for almost 3 years but this year I finally had the opportunity to move into a Product Development role which I have loved. I learned so much this year about product development, operations, sourcing…the list goes on and on. I feel so grateful to not just have a job I love and be able to learn so much each day but to have co-workers that I love to death.
- I got my first-ever massage this year and it was fantastic! I have never been more stressed than this year and getting a nice massage was just one of those little things that made me feel grateful this year. If you’re wondering, Britta and I went to The Now here in LA for our massages and we would highly recommend.
- Speaking of self-care, I finally went lighter with my hair which costs a lot of money and I’m not going to lie it was hard to spend that money on something so frivolous as hair but I truly feel better in this hair and it made me realize that sometimes you just gotta spend the money!
- Our YouTube channel grew a lot this year and it has been so fun to have an audience to share our favorite beauty products with!
- Nashville trip + Ed Sheeran concert – two of the highlights of my year. We took a trip to Nashville with some of our closest friends and it was the most relaxing and fun trips I’ve been on. We also went to see Ed Sheeran while we were there and he was so phenomenal, dare I say the best concert ever?
- One of our oldest and dearest friends Monica came to visit us in May all the way from Maui! We had such a blast with her, we are always so grateful when she or any of our friends take time and money to come visit us. We love her so much and that visit was so needed this year.
- This year was extra special because I went to ICELAND! Not only was this a life-changing trip which I have to thank my BF’s dad for a million times over, but I was so proud of myself for getting over my travel anxiety and learning the country. I truly felt empowered and less fearful after this trip. PS – I’m the worst blogger but I’m almost done with my lengthy Iceland travel post and I’ll list to it when it’s live.
- Last but certainly not least – this year we put our hearts and souls into our soon-to-be-launched luxury candle line, Dyad Candle (coming April 2019). We started the process back in February and have worked tirelessly to find the best fragrances and partners to help us make our dream candles come to life. This has been hands down one of the most challenging things I’ve ever done but also the most rewarding. Britta and I are so happy we can do this together, it has always been our dream to start a business together and I can’t even believe it’s actually happening!
Cheers to what is sure to be a wonderful/crazy 2019!