Fact: People love homemade gifts.
Something homemade shows that you put time and thought into the gift. The receiver will appreciate it so much more than a store bought gift, or even worse…a gift card. With that said I try to make as many homemade gifts as possible. It’s fun for me to come up with new ideas. For Carli’s birthday last year (our birthday) I had a book made of pictures of us growing up. But I wanted to give her something else, so I decided to make this canvas. I was inspired by something I saw on Pinterest, of a canvas covered in book pages from Dr.Suess books. I made a more adult version book page canvas and used The Great Gatsby, Carli’s favorite book.
First I purchased a used copy of the book from half.com; it was only about $4.00 with shipping. I got the cheapest one they had because I was going to tear it apart anyways. Then I bought a large canvas from Michaels for about $6.00 (with my 40% off coupon). They offer so many different sizes, so you can make yours as small or as big as you’d like. I bought a cheap 5×7 frame ($3.00) from Walmart for the cover. I already had some Modge Podge lying around the house. So overall the project was about $13.00. So inexpensive!
- Canvas (size of your choosing)
- Your book of choice
- A picture frame that is about the same size as your book
- Mod Podge
- Hot Glue Gun
- Tear the book apart. Start by ripping the cover off and then tear off as many pages as you’ll need.
- Piece my piece glue the book pages to the canvas using the Modge Podge. Overlap them so they aren’t in a neat line. You want it to look like they are randomly placed.
- Set to dry for about an hour, until the canvas is completely dry.
- Cover the entire canvas with at least two more coats of Modge Podge. Allow one coat to dry before applying more.
- While waiting for the canvas to dry dismantle the picture frame. Rip the back from the frame and discard the glass. So you are left with an open-back frame
- Make sure the cover of the book fits in the frame. I had to trim mine on all four sides until it was centered in the 5×7 frame.
- Glue the book cover onto the center of the canvas with the Modge Podge. My book cover was shiny so there was no need to go over the top of it.
- Hot glue the frame around the cover. You should only need to apply the glue to the corners. You don’t want to use too much and have it bulge out from under the frame.
- Let the hot glue dry and bravo, you’re done!